Friday, March 8, 2013

Ultrabooks, Home Recording, and What to do with Firewire gear?

So it was time to get a new laptop, and I opted for an Ultrabook. I don't do "heavy lifting" out in the field, so portability was key. I'm also a big fan of "slate" computing, and Windows 8 focuses heavily on touch, so I ultimately landed on a Lenovo Twist.

The only problem with the Windows Ultrabook market is the lack of ANY I/O other than USB. No Firewire. Almost no Thunderbolt. What to do?

My poor little NRV10 no longer does the gig as it's a Firewire mixer, and I can't find a comparable USB Mixer. When I only need stereo I can use my H4n, but I often need more than two inputs (and proper XLR inputs at that).

What to do?

I'm looking at Roland, MOTU, Focusrite. I'm not really sure where to go next. Interfaces look great, but I know I'm going to miss the hardware controls of a proper mixer. Sigh... Progress right?

Anywho, I'm writing up a post on using an Ultrabook as a portable recording solution for VO and production shoots. As soon as I decide on what interface to replace my NRV10 with, I'll get that piece finished up and posted for you fine folks.

If any of you fine readers have suggestions on gear, I'd be much appreciative if you'd drop a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment