Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Origin of a Music Pirate

Again, I'm not a huge fan of The Consumerist, but from time to time they get something like this.

Those of us a bit more technically inclined have probably been bothered by DRM for a while now, and I know it can be really frustrating dealing with family who don't get what is happening, trying to explain why widget 'A' wont play with gadget 'B'.

This is a letter from a supposed music fanatic who got burned. It looks like the frustrations we Techs have had, are starting to trickle into the general population.

I've devoted a not-inconsequential chunk of my life to collecting music; to tracking down obscure records, cassettes, 8-Tracks and CD's of all genres and styles. And now apparently that is all but over. Music has somehow evolved from tangible things into amorphous collections of 1's and 0's guarded over by interested parties as if they were gold bullion. How so very sad.

I would like to think that someone at a place like Rhino would care enough to not let these kinds of things happen. But alas, my suspicion is that anyone who would have been cool enough to work at Rhino in their heyday some twenty years ago would never be so callous, foolish or shallow to allow these kind of absurdities to occur.

Since I've resigned myself not to waste any more time with the music business, I suppose I'll have to resort to purchasing used CD's & records, or having my friends occasionally make me a copy of one of their newer CD's.

Call it piracy. Call it whatever you want. But at least I tried. I gave you several chances and you failed miserably at every level.

Read the rest of his letter here, and you should. It's a good read, if a little sad.
someaudioguy some audio guy voice over music piracy riaa mp3 technology voice acting audiobook

No comments:

Post a Comment