Saturday, January 14, 2012

CES Hands On: Sync by 50 Wireless Headphones by SMS Audio

So it appears that musician branded headphones are today what basketball player branded shoes were of yesterday.

I spent a little time at the SMS Audio booth in South Hall and got my hands on a pair of Sync by 50, a new pair of wireless headphones endorsed by Fifty Cent who I believe owns some kind of candy shop...

In a market recently opened up by the Beats by Dre line of gear, it’s fair to draw a few comparisons right off the bat. These are cans for those looking to make as much of a fashion statement as they are into listening to music. It’s also probably fair to say that the music most often listened to with these headphones will be bass heavy.

With the roar of the crowd on the floor, it was hard to get a good sense of what these cans will do to your music. The over-the-ear cup design was very comfortable, and provided decent enough isolation, nothing like inner-aural ear buds but I think I’d be able to wear them for longer periods of time than buds. I found myself wishing for some kind of noise reduction though, like my BH-905i’s.

Build quality is superb, smooth action on all pieces, nice weight. The design is subtle enough that the cans are flash without being too brand whore-y. Where Beats by Dre are becoming recognizable, Sync by 50 are still new enough that they’ll seem a bit more exclusive this product cycle.

Without turning the volume up too high, it was immeadiately apparent that these were THUMPERS. Mids and highs were still present, but that bass will rattle your eyeballs. I kinda liked it. They were thick, but not muddy.

I’m interested. I'll be getting my hands on a pair to give them a fair review.

Shop for SMS Audio Headphones on Amazon and help support SomeAudioGuy!

No comments:

Post a Comment