Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In Rainbows...


It's been a shit day. Truly. At least I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of In Rainbows.

I'm kind of a casual fan of Radiohead. They find regular rotation on the iPod, but it's always an "oh right I should put them on" kind of reaction, never a first impulse kind of thing. That and they've never been a background noise kinda band for me. Like 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' or 'i robot' or 'Dark Side of the Moon' I put on Radiohead when I want to LISTEN to music. Unfortunately it seems like I get less and less time to just listen, so that chunk of my collection gets less and less play time. Prolly getting moldy...

So far this is a great Radiohead album. If you're not a fan, then it wont do anything for you, but if you are I'd say it's right up there with Kid A.
15 Step and Bodysnatchers lead off some great beat deconstruction, and showcase just how good this group is at creating mellow yet totally schizophrenic rhythms. I especially like the reaffirming tone of 15 Step. It feels like a re-dedication...
Nude's minstrel-like qualities are refreshing, intimate, and I was glad the piece didn't get too maudlin or sappy.
Can't say I'm loving Weird Fishes. It's plinky, light, and while it builds into a great run at the end, it feels like too long for too little...
I have to say that All I Need kinda took me by surprise. The dark plodding ring mod rhythm left me unprepared for the lyrical vulnerability. It's not quite Creep, but it's close...
Faust Arp is disgustingly gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for strings and acoustic guitar (like the second disc of 'In Your Honor').They always catch me right between the lungs...
Reckoner reminds me a little of the Beta Band. I love that! The kind of song that makes me wish it rained more in L.A. I'd say more, but I'm too busy closing my eyes...
House of Cards is kinda meh for me. It makes me want to fire up the Johnny Nash 'I Can see Clearly'. It's not a bad song, but it just doesn't go anywhere for me. One of the few times where mating their mellow and intimate tone to a fairly quick back beat just doesn't appeal...
Jigsaw Falling Into Place had me bobbing my head right from the get go. A little touch of Depeche Mode and the Violent Femmes.
Videotape is haunting and pretty and tragic. Blue Man Group's 'Exhibit 13' comes to mind...



So what is all this? What's the point? Is this as groundbreaking or revolutionary as OK Computer?
Yes and No.
I can't say the music is. I can get lost in OK Computer, and In Rainbows just doesn't open my eyes as much.
What is very exciting though is this is an extremely polished and competent work from a group on top of their game. This isn't after-thought music. This isn't a collection of random recordings or crappy B-Sides. This isn't an "experiment". It's real, a real album, and the way it's being distributed is earth-shaking.


It's a scary day for the record labels...


WOw, so if you read all that, then gawdblessya, cuz I really have no business reviewing music...

No comments:

Post a Comment