Saturday, April 7, 2007

Windows Patch May Ruin Audio

So I'm a hardware guy. I don't really care what OS I'm running as long as I can mess with the guts of the machine. It's the main reason why I hate laptops, because I can't futz with them.

Anywho, here's one of the main frustrations I have with Microsoft software. Seemingly unconnected fixes create all new problems.

If you use animated cursors (to me the desktop equivalent of annoying ringtones "look my mouse pointer is a puppy! OH LOOK HE'S DIGGING!"), then you might've heard of the vulnerability,which can allow a hacker to take over a system, which is pretty severe for a cursor. How are the two even related?

Well apparently MS's patch for the problem breaks a computer's ability to use Realtek Audio hardware (a very common audio chipset, even on my motherboard but I use an Audigy2 and a FW410). How are the two even related?

ITWire has the rest of the story here.


Poor stupid Microsoft...
someaudioguy some audio guy voice over recording voice acting production sound security

No comments:

Post a Comment